Who doesn’t love to go on a date? Flowers, your own suite to stay in, dizzy feelings in your stomach!
Ok, well, scheduling a surgical date – not so much!
But if your procedure isn’t elective, scheduling a date for the operation is imperative. This article is part the 31 Days Writing Challenge at SImpleStepsForLivingLife’s on my series Prepping for Surgery.
Please note: all articles are written on SimpleStepsForLivingLife are ONLY my opinions and should NEVER replace that of a medical professional. This series of posts are about what I have learned from having surgery and being about to have surgery again. I am not a medical professional at all, please consult with your doctor or a medical professional when it comes to anything to do with your health.
As most surgical decisions, when to have your surgery is generally subject to what type of surgery you will be having and how imperative it is for you to have the operation. Other important factors that can influence the scheduled time of the operation include:
1. The doctor’s availability.
2. The surgical center or hospital’s availability.
3. The timeframe that your surgery must take place due to the nature of your illness.
4. The time frame to complete any surgery clearance that might be required.
5. What availability there is for your helper after surgery.
6. What availability there is for childcare during and after surgery.
7. The cost of your surgery and how the payment is structured – such as, does anything have to be paid up front, does your job offer paid leave or will you have to save up money to live on, what insurance will be paying, etc.
8. The work days off you have available.
Picking out the best date available can take some time. Use the above list to help you determine what will be the best possibility from what is offered. Remember to be somewhat flexible as emergencies can arise for you or for your surgeon and rescheduling might be required.
For more helpful Prepping for Surgery series articles, click here. For a FREE printable of questions to ask during your preOperation appointment, please leave your email address in the box below.