Have you read about my goal to lose weight and keep it off in the 8 Goals in the New Year post?
DISCLAIMER: I do need to say, I AM NOT A HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL OR DOCTOR. Before planning your weight loss or dietary habits, please check with your doctor . I am not a professional and this plan is just what works for me.
It starts today! And if you have been reading SimpleStepsForLivingLife for any amount of time you know I like to do things the simplest way possible. It can’t get any simplier than this plan.
Only eat vegetables and protein and drink water, tea, or coffee.
Ok, I will occasionally have chocolate, or a donut, or cake. I’m not completely going over the edge. And there will be fruit in my future- strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit, etc .
But as my dad always says, “Everything in moderation.” Which has not been my eating motto for the last year and a half. Stupidly at my yearly doctors visit this past week I asked what I weighed at my last visit… In late fall of 2016 I was at a cool 136lbs. Sigh. What was my weight at this visit… 148lbs. SIGH
Some of you may be like, “So what? It’s just 148 lbs. Well, I’m barely 5’3” and my BMI says I’m FAT not the cool P-H-at kind of Fat. In 2016 I went through this one month cleanse and lost a craycray amount of weight and kept it off and then 2017 struck – BOOM! I gained it all back and then some. Thanks a lot STRESS EATING! But that’s not as much what I’m worried about as I’m about to have blood work for my cholesterol and check to see if I’m prediabetic and all that jazz. It’s a routine yearly thing but I do wonder with the junk I’m been eating this past year. So now I’ll be starting my good habit eating.
Strategies for staying on my new eating habit plan…
1. Eliminate Stress Eating. It is my main culprit in the battle of my 2017 bulge. I have so much trouble fighting it. I just try to eat away my worries. Instead, when worries hit, I plan to pray. That means I’ll be praying a lot more in 2018 so send any prayer requests this way!
2. Eliminate boredom or TV watching Eating. Why do I feel the need to mindlessly eat while watching a favor TV show. Maybe it’s that I’m binge watching a Netflix series and binging on food just goes along with it? LOL I plan to only eat on purpose from now on. Sounds weird but if I have to consciously eat during my day then I’ll be more apt to choose better foods and not over eat or eat when I’m not even hungry.
3. Always have fresh veggies available and protein. The last couple months we’ve been running lean on our budget so I’ve gotten whatever is cheapest at the store. That generally means processed foods. Fresh veggies and fruits aren’t cheap. Now that our bank account is looking better, I’ll be sure to always have fresh vegetables and meat available.
4. Prepare cooked protein ahead of time. I like boiled eggs. They taste good, are a good source of protein, are easy to prepare, and cheap. This website is all about saving time, money, and sanity and boiled eggs do just that. I would keep chicken and fish prepped ahead of time but my kids love eating it and it’s gone before I can pack my lunch with it! LOL I have to make that as needed for dinners and lunch or snacks.
5. Find an accountability partner or audience. It helps to have someone that will smack your hand if you reach for the cookie jar. LOL Both my husband and I are starting the new year eating healthier and we are helping each other especially with my late night snacking problem. Having this blog and putting it out in the blogosphere that I’m losing weight is also helping to hold me accountable. I plan to chronicle this journey in hopes to inspire and help others and myself!
These five steps seem oversimplified but really that’s what works for me. I can’t have anything that requires me too look up stuff every day or plan certain meals. My life is too chaotic. I just need to know I can only eat veggie and meat with the occasional fruit or pasta(meaning like a couple times a week). I need to remember to not mindlessly eat or eat out of stress or frustration. And I really appreciate someone smacking my hand when I sabotage myself on delicious treats.
Want to step up your fitness game? Check out this article with even more simple ideas to lose weight – The Top 20 Simple Weight Loss Tips.
Are you adopting some healthy habits or plan to lose weight this year? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below!