Thanks so much to guest contributor Amelie Lawrence for this article about dentures. As a person with bad teeth and a family history with people needing dentures, I’m happy to add this to Simple Steps For Living Life’s Health & Beauty section.
How Do You Get Used To Wearing The Dentures?
When you wear the denture, it will take some time to suit you because this is an artificial tooth and when you implant some false teeth with your natural existing teeth, it can create some irritation and friction. To avoid these problems, you need to consult with a reputed and certified denture clinic and they will fix the high-quality denture specifically for your mouth. However, some full replacement of the natural teeth with denture might make you uncomfortable, and you may suffer from some serious irritation by wearing the full denture the first time.
- When first putting the dentures in your mouth, you need to move your mouth, tongue and jaw all the time. Some dentures require a dental adhesive product that is applied to the part of the denture that will rest on your gums and is replaced often. Try bitting down on the dentures to adhere them to your gum. If you stay still and do not move the mouth then the dentures cannot fix with your gum properly.
- Try to chew some gum after wearing a denture and to make it more comfortable. Chewing a gum can provide some saliva to the denture. It can help you become accustom to the denture by chewing the gums on a regular basis.
- You may face some speech problems when trying to pronounce words and speak normally with the false teeth. Try standing in front of a mirror and talking to practice speaking alone. It will help you to be able to see if your mouth moves differently with the dentures and adjust accordingly. Speaking problems will be solved quickly and it only needs some practice.
- It is suggested to only eat soft food when you wear dentures because for the first few days you cannot eat and chew hard foods easily. Try to avoid dinner parties for the first few days until you can practice eating different foods..
- When sleeping, it’s best to remove and store your dentures after washing it with the proper solutions. However, for the first few days you may sleep wearing the denture because it can easily get fixed on to your gum during the night.
Why Do You Need To Keep In Touch With Your Denture Clinic?
Dentures do not provide the same strength as your natural teeth and it is just like a prosthetic part of your body. You can use a partial denture or you can also go for full teeth replacement. However, it will take some time to adjust the dentures with your mouth, and you need to practice eating and moving your jaws as per the dentist’s suggestion. You have to go through a long process and it may take several appointments to make sure the denture fits in a proper way. Some people suffer from gum problems, bone loss, nerve problems, irritation and scar tissues after wearing dentures and to resolve these problems you need to talk to your dentist at the denture office frequently. Also it is important to keep in appointments with your dentist to keep your warranty current if one if offered.
Every individual is different and people have different oral structure. Therefore, it depends on your gum and teeth setting how much time you will require for setting a denture. So always consult with a certified dentist at a professional denture clinic in this regard, and follow all of their directions to maintain better oral health.