”Is Your Home Harming Your Health?” is a collaborative post and includes affiliate links. Please see the disclosure page for more information. Disclaimer – always verify medical information with your doctor or a professional and follow all laws for your location.
Our humble abode, the one place we can call ours may not be so friendly after all. Our house is seen as a protector or a safe place. As science and perspective evolve together, we’re coming to the conclusion that not everything might be hunky-dory in our own home. There are so many chemicals and artificial materials being used in our home that they are not having a good impact on our health. There are some areas which you may not even have thought of, but even these can make you feel ill or worse.
The drip effect
Loft insulation is standard in the overwhelming majority of homes. But it can pose a threat that you cannot see or perhaps smell. It can make you feel short of breath and plague you with infections in your ears, eyes, and an open wound. This occurs when there is mold inside the insulation.
The root cause of this is two-fold. It can happen because there is a lack of ventilation in the roof. If you have blocked ventilation ports on top of the roof you need to clear them manually. Setting a ladder on the side of the house, climbing up and physically taking out the debris, dead leaves, and even creatures that have made it their home should fix this problem. However, if you have old ventilation ports, then you need to replace them for more modern efficient versions.
The other cause is leaking. If there is a leak in the roof of your home, water could slowly drip onto the insulation. Over time, this will cause the spread of water and humid air in the loft. This can result in fungi growing in the loft, insulation, and on the wooden beams. You don’t need to be told what can happen if this occurs.
The dirty, bacteria-rich air in your home will soon make you feel ill and queasy. You’re breathing in harmful bacteria which will then infect your lungs and bronchi. It will feel like a chest infection but it’s much more serious than that. Your eyes will become red and begin to water and you will have toxins building up in your body. YIKES!
Calling in expert loft cleaners to get rid of all the bacteria on the wood, insulation and other materials, is the right thing to do. It’s very difficult to control the spread of fungi and mold. So, it’s best to replace the entire insulation of your roof. Speak with a professional about the best steps to rid your home of mold or bacteria.
Magnetic fields can cause a great deal of harm to our bodies, but they largely go unnoticed. The very early microwaves harmed male genitalia and decreased the sperm count of individuals that got too close. Any type of radiation is harmful, which is why even hospitals limit the number of X-rays they do to a person’s body. But what if your own home was acting like a telephone mast and spreading magnetic field waves all around the place?
The main cause of EMF-related illnesses and pain is due to inefficient and poorly-designed kitchen appliances. Anything from your fridge, microwave, toaster, or electric fryer, could be spilling electromagnetic waves into the room. Anyone walking into the room wouldn’t feel a thing and thus, not know what kind of damage was being done to their bodies.
Exposure to EMF can cause mild to very alarming health effects. You will have trouble getting to sleep, with frequent disturbances which could lead to the development of insomnia. A headache is most common. But depression and other depressive symptoms are also known to be one of the unfortunate experiences. A lack of concentration, changes in memory, and dizziness are all very well understood symptoms of those who have suffered from EMF exposure.
Using an EMF multimeter, check which appliances are spilling their EMF radiation into the home. Read this particular article and you’ll know how to use a multimeter. It has a display, ports, and selection knob to control the device. Remove any appliances which are breaching the recommended safe limits.
There’s a reason why there are so many affordable items that anyone can buy for their home. They are made cheaply by countries like China, and sold to the masses for a large profit, despite the consumer cost being low too. This should ring alarm bells in your head, because something that is made so cheaply, cannot be made from high-quality materials. Toxins are released slowly into the air from such products that go on to harm your wellbeing.
Products such as makeup can be very detrimental to your health. If they are not made from natural materials and are instead manufactured in a lab, they could react badly with your skin. Breathing in these toxins can result in headaches and mood swings. Your skin could become inflamed and puffy. Aluminum cans can disrupt your hormones, so perhaps you should limit your sugar rich can drink purchases. If it tastes slightly metallic, you probably want to avoid it anyway!
The synthetic materials used for non-stick pans are also a danger. As they slowly but surely wear away from the surface, the chemicals used to make the product will spread into the air. If you wash your synthetic cheap non-stick pan in the dishwasher, the toxins spread onto other surfaces inside. This can make you feel nauseous, sick, and heady.
The simple answer is to stop buying cheap products for your home and lifestyle. My grandma always said, “Buy quality, buy once.” You won’t need to keep replacing your products due to quick degradation and toxins spreading throughout the home. These toxins are also dangerous to your children who have much weaker immune systems.
Our home gives us shelter, warmth and so many creature comforts. Unfortunately, sometimes the things that we put inside it to supplement our lifestyles aren’t always the best. They may be cheap but could be harming your health without realizing it. Do you have any of the things mentioned here? Give your house a checkup now so you hopefully won’t be as likely to need a doctor’s checkup later!
If you are feeling down or depressed for more days than not, please seek medical attention. If you are feeling like you cannot go on, please call the suicide hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or chat here>>> https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/ Or visit the suicide prevention lifeline at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/